One of my favorite quick meals is Chinese Chicken Stir Fry. It is quick, healthy and extremely tasty for the whole family. With a culture consumed with fast food and heavy meals, this meal is a refreshing change to toss into the mix. All ingredients can be made healthier by using the lightest option available. One of the perks of Chinese Chicken Stir Fry is that it has large portions of vegetables leaving you feeling fuller longer. A perfect option for those wanting to watch their portions without feeling hungry.
There are many versions of chicken stir fry, but the version I am providing uses frozen chicken tenderloin. Feel free to adapt the recipe as needed to fit the ingredients you already have on hand. This can also be made with boneless chicken breast and in a pinch even canned chicken. Also, I prefer to make this dish using rice, but it is also tasty with noodles. If you choose to use noodles instead of rice, follow the same step switching the ingredients of rice and noodles.
6-8 thawed chicken tenderloin (boneless)
Far East Asian Spice or Chinese Five Spice
1 can chicken broth (fat free low sodium)
Frozen veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
Water Chestnuts (optional)
Baby Corn (optional)
1. Put thawed chicken in frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle approx 1 tbsp of olive oil over chicken.
2. Next, sprinkle with garlic powder (approx. 1 tbsp) and a dash of salt.
3. Then add the soy sauce to the chicken (a few shakes to cover the chicken-approx. 2 tbsp)
4. Finally, sprinkle the spice (Far East or Chinese Five spice) onto the chicken being sure to cover both sides of the chicken. Continue to cook chicken until it is done reaching (180 degrees).
5. Remove from the pan and dice into pieces of chicken. Set aside for a moment.
6. Follow instructions for cooking the brown rice but substitute half the water with half chicken broth. Cook rice.
7. While the rice is cooking, add the remaining chicken broth into the frying pan along with the frozen veggies. Add the diced chicken back into the pan.
8. Cover and let simmer on medium low heat until veggies are steamed to your preference.
9. Serve hot with rice, veggies and chicken mixed together. Salt and pepper to taste.
There you go! A quick and tasty recipe for Chinese Chicken Stir Fry that is quick and healthy. This is a very filling meal, and you are sure to get a good serving or two of veggies.